What is a call queue?
Sometimes a company can’t answer an incoming call because all its employees are busy. When this happens, the call goes to a queue (aka a line or ‘on hold’). Instead of a constant busy tone, the caller is informed that operators can’t currently answer the call. Music is played for the caller while they wait for someone to take their call.
You may not view call queues in the most positive light due to the way many corporations use them to intentionally frustrate you so you hang up, but when used to complement customer service, call queues have distinct business value in saving phone calls that would otherwise be lost.
Business value of call queue
Call queues help to:
- reduce the number of missed calls;
- reduce the negative effect of the busy signal on the customer experience;
- provide different service levels for different customer groups;
- collectively improve overall customer service.
How call queues work
A cloud virtual phone system like MightyCall can divide incoming call flow into groups on the basis of several parameters:
- The business number the caller dialed (useful if you have several numbers in your phone system)
- The call option they selected through the Auto-attendant
- The group the caller belongs to — regular, black list or VIP
- The time of the call: business hours or after-hours
Each of these call groups can have its own call queue. For example, a queue of prospect calls to the sales team, a queue of regular customer calls to the support team, a queue of VIP customer calls to the support team, and so on.
When to use call queues
Call queues are normally used when a company receives more calls than it can instantly handle. Instead of employing more staff to handle holidays or peak hours, you can efficiently manage calls through better resource management.
Paying more workers than you normally need is a bad investment, and with MightyCall’s system performance reports, you can set up your system in a reasonable way with low wait times.
This leverages the best of both worlds: you don’t overextend your business and your customer service doesn’t suffer.
Personalizing your call queues
While call queues are undoubtedly effective, especially for small businesses juggling calls between a handful of employees, the monotony of on-hold music can get under people’s skin.
With MightyCall’s call queues, we have integrated a few customizable touches into the system so your phone lines work as well as possible.
To inject some measure of personality into the waiting game, you can both customize your holding music so your phone lines aren’t usually the same songs/tunes everyone else uses, or you can insert custom voice greetings and messages you record yourself to inform and/or entertain waiting callers.
Likewise, if your phones are too busy to even get to calls after a few minutes, you can set the amount of time that calls stay in the queue before being bounced to voicemail as a way to prevent callers from the unfortunate experience of waiting around for obscene amounts of time.
- Unlimited Calling
- Visual Call Flow Configuration
- Call Forwarding to Any Device
- Toll Free or Local Numbers
- Vanity numbers
- Call History
- Call Queues
- VIP/Black-list Call Routing
- Call Recording
- Voicemail & Transcription
- Visual Voicemail
- Softphone to Make and Receive Calls
- Mobile App
- Call Screening
Team & Progress
- Unlimited extensions
- Conference Calls
- Sequential or Simultaneous Ringing
- Activity Queue
- Available/DND Statuses
- Performance Reports
- Call Transfer
- Second Line Call
- Several Business Phone Numbers
4 out of 5 stars
4.2 out of 5 stars
4.7 out of 5 stars
4.2 out of 5 stars