- What is call transfer?
- How to make a call transfer.
- Different kinds of call transfer
- What is the difference between call transfer and call forwarding
What is call transfer?
A call transfer is a method that enables a user to redirect a call to another extension (user).
A call transfer may be a part of a regular process of call handling. For example, receptionist answers calls, understands caller request and transfers calls to proper employee. In another case, employee transfers call received mistakenly to a right destination.
How to make a call transfer.
When a user have received an incoming call, he can use call transfer to direct the call to another number. To do it, the user can take advantage of a switchhook flash for the most PBXs, or press special transfer button on a telephone set, or tap a special key combination, e.g. ##. After dialing the extension of a teammate, the user hangs up a telephone before or after the answer of the teammate.
All these methods are also valid for softphones. But in this case, there can also exist other methods of call transfer specific to the user interface of this softphone.
Different kinds of call transfer
When the user have answered an incoming call and dialed teammate extension to transfer the call, several scenarios are possible.
- User waits until the teammate picks up the call and speaks with the teammate before hangs up. Sometimes, the caller also takes part in the preliminary conversation. The user in this scenario is sure that transfer is successful. This type of call transfer is called warm transfer. Other terms are consult transfer, attended transfer, supervised transfer, announced transfer. This case usually happens when receptionist transfers call to an extension with no queue management. Another case is that user considers the call as important.
- The user doesn’t wait for the teammate to pick up the call and hangs up. Is this case user is unsure whether the transfer is successful. If the teammate doesn’t answer, the caller will be disconnected. This scenario is called blind. Other terms for this scenario are unannounced, cold. Some PBXs can be configured in such a way that call will return to the user if the teammate doesn’t answer. Such call transfer is called bridge. A usual use case of blind transfer is a call transfer to an extension with queue management, e.g. hunt group. Sometimes very busy employees transfer mistakenly received calls by a blind manner although it is not polite.
What is the difference between call transfer and call forwarding
The term call forwarding is often used, when a call is automatically redirected to a predefined number before a called user to pick up the call. The term call transfer is more suitable to a situation when human pick up a call and decide to redirect it to an arbitrary number.